Updated: Mar 17
Sadly, out of an abundance of caution for the health of our immediate and extended community, we have decided to close school effective Monday, March 16. We are joining Chicago Jewish day schools and other private schools making this difficult decision. Several members of our community reported this morning that they have self-quarantined due to exposure to people possibly diagnosed with COVID-19. Our decision to close was made with the guidance of medical professionals and public health officials. The health and safety of our students, families, and staff is our top priority, and we believe it is our ethical responsibility in this very uncertain time to help slow the spread of the virus and reduce the burden on our health care system.
We understand that this is an anxious time for you and your children, and we are here to support you during the closure as best we can. We also know that this decision places a tremendous burden and strain on many of our families and staff. We plan to communicate with you frequently and provide a continuous learning experience for your children. Monday, staff will work to finalize their curricular plans for remote learning, and we will send out initial schedules of online learning. Tuesday, we will begin to roll out our remote learning plan that will include an orientation for all students.
We will remain closed until we believe opening is in the best interest of our community. We do not currently know how long this will last. At this time, we know we will be closed for at least the next two weeks (March 16-27). There is the possibility of remaining closed through the Passover break. We will be evaluating the situation daily and will open as soon as we are given enough reassurance that it is safe to do so.
During this period of school closure, we encourage you to:
Reflect on ways to manage your own and your child's anxiety. This resource has been helpful to us.
Continue increased hygiene precautions
Practice social distancing. Keep your children home and avoid public gatherings
Contact your physician with any medical questions
Please notify us if your child or an immediate family member shows signs of COVID-19
Exercise patience in receiving responses from staff as we are all juggling our personal and professional responsibilities as best we can.
We shared the news of our decision to close with the students today. We continue to keep those directly impacted by the virus in our prayers. Thank you for your patience as we continue to navigate this difficult situation together. May G-d grant us all safety from this virusand an end to this pandemic. Shabbat Shalom!
Dr. Eliezer Jones Miriam Kass Carla Goldberg
Head of School Grade School Principal Early Childhood Director